Monochromatic fashion is timeless. A classic black outfit is a perfect remedy for a wardrobe crisis or an immediate fashion fix. Every wardrobe requires essential items, such as the little black dress (LBD) and a classic white shirt, which reign supreme among monochromatic styles. Furthermore, nude or black accessories are must-have items for daily use and are perfect for all occasions.
Traditional shopping is back, which is further good news. The bad news is that our spending habits will increase, which is a non-negotiable sacrifice for those in need of a post-lockdown fashion makeover. The splurge must be worth it; hence, invest in timeless styles more than directional pieces. Classic items will never fail you, unlike fashion fads, and yes, the current skirt-over-trousers trend is soon to be a fashion faux pas. Monochrome fashion has endless appeal and extends beyond its notorious black-and-white palette. As we saw at this year’s Oscars, plain bright is overtaking plain boring in terms of an all-pink-and-red versus an all-black outfit. Herewith, top five monochrome styles to purchase:
(1) Ideal of Sweden’s Modern Monochrome Collection offers chic accessories. Their laptop sleeve in braided light camel design radiates elegance. The black version is equally stunning, but the texture of the design stands out more in the nude version. I would team the laptop sleeve with a beige shirt dress and trench coat. How is that for a triple dose of monochromatic fun? Riverland Studio has a chic beige trench coat and nude sequin shirt dress. Also, New Look’s nude woven shoes would complete this perfect ensemble.
(2) The LBD is an all-time favourite. You could look a million dollars in a Primark LBD without anyone knowing the brand name. Garment detailing makes an outfit rather than the brand itself, albeit designer pieces are trendy. There is no denying that a hefty price tag is the result of exquisite craftsmanship. The high street makes similar designs accessible to all. TK Maxx has a stunning black organza jumper dress – not quite Valentino – but the billowing sleeves make for a more dynamic look with a pair of black heels by River Island.
(3) Everyone needs a classic white shirt to complement a suit, pair of jeans or pencil skirt. Such a classic item is the ultimate wardrobe staple. The colour white is synonymous with new beginnings; thus, it is worth replenishing your summer wardrobe with a casual or formal white shirt, along with a classic pair of white jeans and summer sandals. Tu Clothing stocks a demure white statement collar shirt which I would pair with white jeans and sandals. The latter may not suit an ‘all-white party’, but it makes for an effortless day outfit.
(4) We all love a black jacket. Yes – it is chic, timeless, versatile and very accessible. Monochromatic fashion would not be the same without a black jacket. What is more, it adds a touch of class to almost any outfit. River Island Studio have a double-breasted jacket with padded shoulders. This would complement a black lace camisole or bodysuit worn with black high-waisted trousers, creating a more comfortable alternative to the LBD.
(5) The classic lady in red speaks volumes. As such, a red dress symbolises power and confidence. Furthermore, it is ideal for a red-carpet occasion rather than a brunch date. A red bag, on the contrary, adds a pop of colour to a monochromatic outfit. If red is your favourite colour, you may like F&F’s red midi dress. It is cute, demure and relatively understated.
Written by @styleiconnat | Paid & Gifted Partnership – Ideal of Sweden | Discount code styleiconnat15 for 15% off everything on the Ideal of Sweden website.
Helping To Inspire, Educate and Motivate Through Creativity