To know which skincare products are suitable for your skin type can sometimes be a mission, at the best of times. I have tested different brands for years, some of which were keepers and complete losers. Life is too short to wait for possible results. When you find a product that delivers what it says on the packaging, it should become one of your prized possessions. Let us go back to the drawing board; what is your skin type? How often do you ask yourself the latter question? If you’re unsure, here are five valuable facts you need to know:
(1) It is essential to understand how your skin feels. The texture of your skin can indicate a lot about its essential nature.
(2) Combination skin feels typically oily in the T-bone but dry everywhere else.
(3) Sensitive skin feels itchy and dry.
(4) Normal skin is even and balanced.
(5) Oily skin will feel shiny and greasy all over. Dry skin will feel tight, and flakes especially during wintertime.
Once you know your skin type, skincare shopping becomes more effortless. A thick day or body cream is perfect for dry skin to retain moisture in your skin. Here are some further tips on how to combat dry skin:
(6) Use lotions and thick creams to nourish your skin cells.
(7) Exfoliate once a week to boost circulation, clear away dry and dead skin.
(8) Facial steaming – whether in a steam room or DIY skin treatment – is hydrating and, as such, helps to increase oil production. Steam also increases skin permeability, enabling it to absorb topical creams better.
(9) Avoid skincare products that contain alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), fragrance and retinol. Admittedly, I sometimes use products containing the last two ingredients. However, I avoid highly fragranced products and use less encapsulated Vitamin A, such as 0.1% or 0.2%.
(10) Always apply moisturiser immediately after washing. Ointments, moisturisers, or creams work by trapping existing moisture in your skin.
Here are some of my recommendations by Sanctuary Spa who offer a myriad of products for dry skin:
(1) Shower Burst – a creamy cleansing foam enriched with the gold of pleasure oil and sweet almond oil.
(2) Body Butter – a moisturiser containing a blend of shea and cocoa butter, sweet almond, and macadamia nut oil.
(3) White Lily & Damask Rose Himalayan Salt Scrub – contains pink Himalayan salts, vitamin E and almond oil.
(4) 1 Minute Daily Glow Mask is a pre-shower illuminating treatment with radiance-boosting Kakadu plum, brightening vitamin C and nutrient-rich rosemary extract.
(5) Warming Micro-Dermabrasion Refining Polish is a warming facial treatment that helps open pores, stimulate circulation, and keep skin radiant.
(6) A Polishing Hot Cloth Cleanser leaves skin hydrated. The buffing muslin cloth helps to remove dead skin cells and impurities.
(7) Heel balm is pampering moisture and dry heel rescue enriched with shea butter and wheatgerm oil.
(8) Overnight Replenishing Miracle Oil leaves the skin feeling soft and supple.
Let us positively end this year in the right frame of mind and keep the momentum going into the new year.
Written by @styleiconnat. Gifted Collaboration.